Friday, October 9, 2015

A Weight Watchers Experiment

So, I actually did write this post on Wednesday, but couldn't finish it until Friday if that gives you some indication of how nuts this week has been. Thus, Weigh-In Wednesday on Friday.

Weigh-in Wednesday!

Last Week's Weight: 168
Current Weight: 167.8
Change: -0.2
Total Loss: -60.2

I've been doing a little experiment the last few weeks, but first let me back up. I quit Weight Watchers last spring because at the time I was tracking both points on WW and calories on MFP. My goal had been to track on both programs to get a sense for the equivalent number of calories to my WW daily points target, so that I could quit WW and just track calories on MFP instead. And invest the WW money in my shoe collection, obviously.

What I found was surprising, which was that at 165lbs and 5'6" (which, is about 10lbs overweight for my height), I was eating about 1300 calories/day to hit my points target. That is notttt a lot of food for anyone, let alone someone who is 5'6" and still 10lbs overweight AND running a lot. Anything beyond that 1300 calories took away from my weekly 49 extra points. Anything beyond the weeklies took from my workout points. At the time, I was GAINING weight. 




I'm not a nutritionist, but I've done quite a bit of reading about diet plans, macros, weight loss, basal metabolic rate, etc. so in my unprofessional opinion and in my actual personal experience, if you train your body to only lose weight on 1300 calories a day, you will only lose weight when you eat 1300 calories a day. The macros enthusiasts will tell you that you'll wreck your metabolism by operating at such an extreme caloric deficit for so long. My BMR is significantly higher than 1300 calories a day (at the time, it was in the 1800s, I believe), so the fact that I couldn't lose weight on 1300/day was a product of the way I had taught my body to lose weight. Also, it was unsustainable because when I was eating my target calories/points, I was still hungry. For a girl who appreciates the occasional Jimmy Johns, that's no way to live. 

Enter my current Weight Watchers experiment: the goal is to increase my daily metabolic/points threshold SLOWLY, while still losing weight. What I'm saying is I want to have  my cake and eat it too and still lose weight :) Lofty!


I haven't been SUPER scientific about it, but before starting this experiment I would eat all of my daily points (28PP) and all of my weekly points (49PP), but would not dip into my workout points (activity points). Historically, I found it challenging to lose weight and eat my activity points, unless I was running 25+ miles a week. Slowly slooooowly, I've been dipping more and more into my activity points (about 40/week). 


What this means is that I've gone from eating roughly 245PP per week (28 daily, plus 49 weekly) to now eating about 280ish PP per week. Roughly. AND I'm still losing weight, despite eating about 6PP more per day, on average. Granted, weight loss is slower, but I've recorded losses in 9 of my last 12 weigh-ins, which ain't no easy feat. 



All of this to say, I feel significantly more satisfied because I'm eating more food (obviously). I am never and will never be the person who has a single square of dark chocolate and calls her sweet tooth satisfied, so this seems like a good solution for me. I'd love to be losing weight faster, but sustainable weight loss and habits are the name of the game

How was your weigh-in Wednesday? Have you ever done an diet experiment?

No comments:

Post a Comment