Wednesday, June 3, 2015

Inch by Inch

Pretty Strong Medicine

Last Week's Weight: 172.2
Current Weight: 171
Change: -1.2
Total Loss: -57.0

YASSSSS. [Insert praise hands emoji here].

While weighing in this morning, I was glad to see progress. Not as-fast-as-I-would-like progress, but inch by inch, I'm getting closer. That thought reminded me of Al Pacino's "Inch by Inch" speech in Any Given Sunday. I've never seen the movie, but when my high school soccer team made the playoffs, one of our captains planned for us to listen to that speech before every playoff game. If you've never listened to the speech and want a serious dose of motivation, here ya go (if you don't have time to watch the whole thing, it gets really good around the 2-minute mark):




The part that really gets me is this line:


A major roadblock to my weight loss attempts my entire life until the last few years was that I mistakenly thought that all I needed was a quick fix:

"Okay I will just follow the three-day diet for a few weeks and then I will be skinny."

"I will do atkins and lose 20lbs in 2 months and my problems will be solved."

"I can just not eat until the pool party to drop a few pounds."

I thought making extremely major (and usually unhealthy) changes for a short period of time was the trick. If I could just do something drastic enough for a short time, I would for sure lose weight for the long term! Unsurprisingly, this never worked. And now, the inches speech is a good reminder as to why.

The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're when we walk past the candy bowl and say "no thanks, not today." They're when we get a non-fat latte instead of a frappucino. The inches are when we pass on Potbelly macaroni salad because it's ELEVEN POINTS for a tiny portion. The inches are when we go for seconds of broccoli instead of for mashed potatoes. They're when we put down the cookies in the grocery store, because we know we suck at portion control. They're when we drag ourself out of bed for a morning workout, even though our legs are sore.

Life's a game of inches, it's not just one big play. To truly be successful, we need play for those inches, because that's going to make the difference between winning and losing. 

And in this game, I'm fighting for that inch.

How was your weigh-in Wednesday?

5 comments:

  1. This is great!! A lot of the time I think everyone trying to lose weight focuses too much on the big picture and becomes overwhelmed and thinks that it's just too much and can't be done. But taking it day by day, inch by inch, we can find that it is possible!


    My last weigh in was a gain so meh...not so good. But I know that a gain every now and again is to be expected and so far that hasn't derailed me too badly to prevent progress the next week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have the SAME thoughts. I need to remember, slowly and surely. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post! We have choices we GET to make (not HAVE to make) every day. The consistency in dedication to our end game goals is what makes the difference.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Right, Gwen! And, it can be empowering once you realize that these are decisions you CHOOSE to make because there's a bigger goal than something like a Twix bar :)

    ReplyDelete