Monday, March 9, 2015

Magical Weight Loss Tricks

It seems my Instagram feed is filling more and more with images of juice fasts and teatoxes and shakeology and talk of things like BCAAs and casein and B12s and aminos and R2D2 (I made that last one up). And I'm over here like:


It should come as no surprise that I'm a pretty firm believer in losing weight in a sustainable way. That is, no crazy fad diets or elixirs or powders. I lost more than 50lbs without a single cold-pressed juice fast, and I'm committed to losing the rest of the weight the same way. If you want to take fancy schmancy supplements and powders and shots and shakes, by all means, get down with your bad self, but these things aren't necessary for weight loss. 

[UNPOPULAR OPINION ALERT] The only magic bullets for weight loss success are discipline and consistency.


Another non-surprising fact is that my journey has had a fair amount of bumps and derailments along the way. But sticking to the plan and eating within my points (consistently!!!) is what produces results. Going to the gym on a regular basis and challenging myself in my workouts produces results. Giving up weekly Jimmy Johns (I still love you, JJ) and instead finding better ways to treat myself produces results. No magic fixes required.

I don't say any of this to shame anyone who chooses to do these things. I say it to hopefully offer advice to those who are worried they need to do those things to be successful: you don't. Weight loss on its own is intimidating enough, so know that you don't need expensive fancy supplements for success. You don't need fancy DVDs or Lululemon apparel or a costly gym membership (you do need a good sports bra, though). Most importantly, you just need to learn how to make the right decisions about nutrition and working out. Every damn day. 


What's your recipe for weight loss success?

5 comments:

  1. EXACTLY!!!!!!

    I wish I could be more eloquent but that post did such an awesome job. It's tempting to be lured in by these quick fix promises...... especially after you've gained a few, but the annoying truth is, you need to just consistently chip away at it by eating right and working out. But some times knowing this logically and actually following it are 2 very different things!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen to that! You know me, I'm lured to things that are supposed to make losing weight easier because I hope that they're going to be the thing that makes the weight loss just happen for me. But thankfully I reason myself out of it (with your help a lot of the times!) and I don't spend money on a lot of that stuff. I loved that you said, "Most importantly, you just need to learn how to make the right decisions about nutrition and working out. Every damn day. " Hit the nail on the damn head there!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Desiree Penton MarshallMarch 10, 2015 at 8:10 AM

    AMEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Oy vey my IG feed is like that too, I need to do a lil spring cleaning I think. Yes, our way is the hard way, but its also gonna teach us how to do this properly!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Exactly!! I'd rather take a month to lose 5lbs and keep it off, than drop 5lbs in a week because I starved myself. Slow and steady wins the race :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Right. I can't believe people actually buy this stuff - Advocare, Herbalife etc. You have myfitnesspal for free, no need for anything else.

    ReplyDelete