Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Catching Up and Weighing In

Weigh In Wednesday
Last Week's Weight: 175
Current Weight: 173.8
Change: -1.2
Total Loss: -54.2


Let's chat, shall we?

Blogging has been sporadic (at best) lately, because work has been pretty full throttle since about Christmas. And, weight loss progress has been less than stellar. Week after week I've stepped on the scale and seen a number between about 172-177. Then, there were some weeks where I said screw it, and didn't weigh in at all. That's the truth.

I feel like by not blogging about my weight, I've been letting the number bring me down. I am working out 5-6 days a week, but I did have a few weeks where my attitude toward eating can be summed up as follows:



I see people who (it seems) eat more than I do and lose weight. I see people who (it seems) work out less than I do and lose weight. I'm totally aware that this is whining and that my assumptions about what other people do/don't do to lose weight could very much be wrong. But sometimes I just think: WHAT THE HELL BODY CAN WE REMEMBER WHAT IT'S LIKE TO LOSE WEIGHT CONSISTENTLY?

Based on the fact that I've not plateaued in the mid 170's three times now (I've probably spent almost a collective year in this weight range) it would seem my body is quite comfortable here. But am I? I don't know. 

I'm really really really happy I don't weigh 228lbs anymore. I'm proud of how hard I worked to lose 54+lbs. But I'm not as muscular as I would like to be. I'm really glad I can push myself harder when I'm working out and that making myself work out isn't as much of a battle as it once was. But I'm still a little squishier than I want to be. 

I don't think there is a perfect number where I will suddenly be content and happy and never have another negative body-related thought. But, at the same time, I often feel like throwing away the scale is a slippery slope to disregarding weight gain and focusing too much on little wins (that aren't adding up). 


All of this is to say, I'm still here, I'm still trying, and I'm still weighing in. My focus this month is to have less "YOLO eating" weeks, and more restraint around unhealthy foods. I actually gave up sweets for lent (and by lent I mean until I go on vacation at the end of the month), which I think has drastically helped me reel in the little nibbles at work that have been adding up. This week I lost weight, so I must be doing something right. Now, I just need to keep it up!

How was your weigh in Wednesday?

15 comments:

  1. Ashley LoeffelholzMarch 4, 2015 at 11:45 AM

    I'm with you sister! All the effort I put in, and the scale doesn't budge, or it goes up?! You've got to be kidding!! As long as you're working out though and eating well, you're already doing your body and health a huge favor! Keep your head up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Desiree Penton MarshallMarch 4, 2015 at 12:34 PM

    It is so so frustrating! Keep up the good work. Eventually it WILL pay off!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel the same way. I've been stuck around 170-177 for the past year and my body just finds it SO hard to get any lower than that and STAY lower than that. I've decided to just try and eat both healthily and realistically whilst working out without killing myself. I want to see where my body naturally falls in a few months time!


    Chrissy x
    www.chrissylilly.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Girl, I feel ya. Have you heard of the lean & lovely lifting program from Neghar Fonooni? I'm combining that with the New Rules of Lifting for Women and finally (FINALLY) seeing some change again!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just the fact that you are even writing about this shows that you will see improvement. Keep going one day at a time. Are you strength training?
    melissasminute.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. High 5 for the continued effort.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's like you're in my head and know what I'm going through. I seem to be spinning my wheels at the starting line and not really making any progress because if I lose a couple pounds I gain them back in the next week or two. And as a result I too say screw it and don't weigh in some weeks. And I'm not blogging about my weigh ins because I feel like I keep saying the same old thing over and over with the repeated loss and gain of the same few pounds.

    If you're working out 5-6 times a week I would definitely be looking at what you're eating for the plateau. Just seems like it has to be the logical explanation because especially since you've started ClassPass you've been mixing up your workouts so it's not that your body is getting used to the same old workout day after day, week after week. But what do I know haha, just my two cents for what it's worth.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am! I do ClassPass, so I go to a mix of cardio and strength classes. I try to do at least 2-3 strength, and 2-3 cardio a week, including some circuit classes that are a little of both :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I haven't but I'll have to look into that!! I saw you went to a barre class right-- did you like it??

    ReplyDelete
  10. I agree with that! I know I can get lower than this (I weighed as low as 161 last year when half marathon training), but I do have a hard time dropping weight when I'm not running, which has made the last 6 months a challenge. Basically, I want to find and maintain a weight where I can still eat pizza and burgers once in awhile. Is that so much to ask? :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks Desiree-- here's hoping! I made a (medium-sized) frozen pizza last night fully intending to eat the whole thing. As it was cooking, I realized I wasn't actually hungry enough that I needed to eat it all. PROGRESS!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks Ashley!! A good reminder, when I feel like I haven't been posting weigh-ins. I'm not ashamed of the number - I just feel stagnant (even though my workouts have been good!). Weight doesn't have to be the only measure of progress!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh yeah, this plateau is 10000% the result of eating, not the result of working out. After loosening up on my diet recently, it's hard to reel it back in, but I've been really good the last 2 weeks! I have the same problem -- I see that I lost a pound or two that week, which I use as license to splurge. That self-sabotage is killing me. There are better ways to reward myself! I do plan on weighing in more regularly, though -- accountability is KEY for me! Maybe that would help you too?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yes! Loved. I bought a five class pass and am just finishing class #5 this week. I'm realizing more than anything how much I love group fitness stuff and having a class scheduled motivates me so much to get off my a$$. Definitely going to need to keep that habit up!

    ReplyDelete