Monday, February 2, 2015

I Wish I Had Time to Work Out

I was walking to yoga class over the weekend, and I passed a guy protesting one of the Chicago mayoral candidates on the street. The guy sees my yoga mat and says, "I wish I had time to work out!"

While I didn't say this to the kind sir on the street (who, let's be honest, could clearly free up some time with a little less picketing amiright?), what I wanted to say was: me too! I wish I had 10 extra hours of free time a day so I could spend 5 of them watching Law & Order SVU, 4 of them getting extra sleep, and one of them working out. But we all have just 24 hours in a day. 

(source)


Who has time to work out?! Not many people. Now brace yourself for the tough love portion of today's blog post.

But if you really want it, you'll make time to work out. 

NOPE. Whatever excuse you have in your head. Stop. Rethink it. Truth bomb: If you really want to do it, you'll make time for it. If not, you'll find an excuse.

"But Carolyn, I work so early in the morning!" 

So pack your bag and go to the gym immediately after work. Do not pass go. Do not collect $200. Do not even think about going home and turning on the TV first. Because then you and I both know you won't work out. (Trust me. Tried it about a million times. All unsuccessful). 

"But I work so late at night! I'm so tired at the end of the day!" 

Me too, sister. So early morning workouts are my jam. I pack my bag every single night before bed, so all I have to do in the morning is drag my half-asleep carcass to the gym. Does it suck that I can't stay up late watching Chopped re-runs every night? Yep. But it sucks less than skipping my workouts for a reason that's preventable.

"But I'm too tired to work out in the morning." 

ME TOO SISTER. If you think I wake up like a perky daisy in the mornings, you are sadly mistaken. I am a zombie, but I am a zombie with a purpose. Getting out of bed is the hardest part. Strip off the blanket, put your feet on the floor, and get up. You can do it. Promise. Need extra motivation? How about no Starbucks before work unless you go to the gym first? Or how about you have to hit 10 morning workouts in order to earn a manicure? Bet you could make yourself do morning workouts then! Boom, bribery. Because it works.

Here's the truth: you don't have time. No one does. You have to MAKE time. Working out is an important appointment with yourself. One you can't miss. One you can't cancel because you are a workout boss. And bosses don't cancel important appointments. So go out there and get s*^% done. 

Too much tough love on a Monday morning? Blame the picketing man for inspiring this post.

How do you keep yourself motivated to workout?

4 comments:

  1. This is so true! You have to make time! I am a mom of two who works 9 hrs a day + 1.5 hrs of commute time and whose husband travels for work so I'm a single parents during the week and I still make time to work out! It's all about staying so committee! I hate when I hear people make excuses!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post! You really hit the nail on the head. And it's just the right amount of tough love on a Monday (or Tuesday) if you ask me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad ya liked it! I just think about my own excuses and how I get around them ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are a trooper!! Honestly, I think about how crazy life can be and I am a single person who has no obligations to anyone but myself-- I can only imagine how much crazier yours must be. So much power to you for making time!!

    ReplyDelete