Monday, February 23, 2015

Book Reviews, Lately

Fun fact: I was such a bookworm as a child that I would bring books to sleepover parties with my friends and read with a flashlight in my sleeping bag after everyone else went to sleep. I literally did not go anywhere in life without a book (or 10). I tore through the entire Hardy Boys series in first grade because I thought Nancy Drew was too prissy. My teachers let me start Accelerated Reader at school a year early "for fun."

Of course now I don't have the time to read nearly as much as I did as a kid, but I've been trying to be better about reading during my commute, rather than people watching playing Words With Friends. I've been more active on Goodreads, and it's definitely inspiring me to read more when I see all the books my friends are reading. I had plenty of time to read on my Megabus ride to Cleveland and back a few weeks ago, so I thought I'd share what I've been reading! 

(I won't give any REAL spoilers, but light spoilers ahead. You've been warned).


First on my list was Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn. Like the rest of the world, I was utterly captivated by the evilness of Gone Girl, so I've been wanting to read some of Flynn's other books for awhile. Sharp Objects took me a little while to get into, but once I was hooked, I was hooked. Flynn's writing is so grotesquely descriptive, it's dark and unsettling in a way where you almost can't bear to read what's next, but you can't bear to leave the page unturned. The characters are so deeply disturbed, their relationships and motivations so twisted. As someone who is fascinated by psychology and psychological disorders (and because there was a similar episode of Law & Order SVU), I saw the ending coming, but that didn't make it any less troubling. This is a book that will leave you feeling uneasy, even after you're finished. 


Some girlfriends of mine are starting a book club, and February's book is The Girl on the Train. Unbeknownst to me when I started reading it, it's just as disturbing as Sharp Objects. The Girl on the Train follows the stories of multiple characters whose lives intersect in bizarre ways. The main character is an alcoholic named Rachel, who often gets drunk and tries to visit her ex-husband. On one such drunk visit, Rachel happens to get wrapped up in a real life disappearance of a stranger, and the stories unfold from there. All of the characters are utterly detestable for a variety of reasons, but there are times where you can't help but sympathize with them and root for them to overcome their own terrible decisions. There were times I really really wanted to punch Rachel, because despite her self-awareness, she continues to put herself in compromising positions. I didn't find the ending that satisfying, but that didn't take away from how darkly captivating the rest of the book was.

After reading these two back to back, I've been joking with friends that I need to read something light like the entire Babysitters Club series or else I risk spiraling into depression. Hah! Currently, I'm reading Brownie Points by Jennifer Coburn, so I'll let you know how it is once I've finished.

What are you reading? Any recommendations?

Would you like to read more book reviews like this? 

10 comments:

  1. Desiree Penton MarshallFebruary 23, 2015 at 6:20 AM

    Just added you on Goodreads! I haven't had much time to read lately but I go through spurts! Hoping to get back to it soon though! Currently reading Book 2 of Outlander series.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My girlfriend has kept a list of every book she's read since High School! She reads every night! Her favourite author is Dean Koontz!


    I need to get in to reading more at night, as currently, I just play games on my phone. BOO!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have Gone Girl on my night stand after my stepmom lent it to me. Hopefully, I get to it soon! Like you, I've been struggling to get much reading time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't read this full post as I really want to read Sharp Objects and avoid spoilers!! I just started "Dark Places" and I really like it!!


    Chrissy x
    www.chrissylilly.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just downloaded that the other day! I'm reading a lighter-ish book right now ("Brownie Points") but plan to tackle Dark Places next! What do you think of it?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Once you start, you won't be able to put it down! I just need to be better about picking up a book instead of the TV remote (easier said than done!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. An actual list?? That's impressive-- I wish I had that! I'm trying to be better about keeping track on GoodReads so I can go back and reference :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. We're GR friends now! :) What's the Outlander series? I can't say I've heard of it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I finished it on Tuesday! I wasn't blown away, if I'm honest. Towards the middle it kinda got a bit predictable (the main thing I loved about Gone Girl was the twist so that was a bit disappointing!).

    ReplyDelete
  10. Desiree Penton MarshallMarch 5, 2015 at 9:50 AM

    Its actually into a series now on Starz but it's about Claire in the 40s who gets zipped back in time to the Scottish Highlands and flashes back between the different eras. Its got action, romance, adventure and hot Scottish men. :)

    ReplyDelete