Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Let's Talk

As someone who is so interested in psychology, I've loved seeing this recent NY Times article going around: To Fall in Love with Anyone, Do This. Essentially, a psychologist ran a study that found that answering this list of 36 questions can make two strangers fall in love, even in a place as romantic as a laboratory.

Lately, I've seen a few bloggers sharing their answers to some of the questions to give readers a better peek into who they are as a person. I don't share a tonnnn of information about my personal life on here (aside from my penchant for Law & Order SVU), so I thought I'd select a smattering of questions to give you a better glimpse at the girl behind the blog. Here goes!


Would you like to be famous? In what way?HECK no. I would enjoy gaining recognition for things like excelling in my field of work, or even for winning something, but I don't want the invasion of privacy that comes from being famous. I mean, I'd enjoy some of the free swag though ;)

If you could change anything about the way you were raised, what would it be?
Growing up in a tiny town outside of Cleveland (population: 2,600) means I lived a pretty sheltered childhood. My town was basically all white, mostly Christian, and mostly middle class. I wish I would have had a more diverse base of friends and classmates, and I do wish we could have traveled more. I didn't leave the US (aside from Mexico and Canada) until my junior year of college.

Before making a telephone call, do you ever rehearse what you are going to say? Why?
For work, sometimes I'll think through the hardball questions that might come my way so I'm prepared to answer them. In my real life, no, I don't rehearse. And my hatred of talking on the phone to anyone besides my mom is well documented.

How close and warm is your family? Do you feel your childhood was happier than most other people’s?
Close? Yes, definitely. Warm? Yes-ish. I mean, we're a hugging loving family and all of that, but nothing over the top. I feel like we're most in our element when all of us are giving each other a hard time, which was pretty typical behavior in our household growing up. We all have such crossover similarities, it's bound to happen. My youngest brother and I have the same sarcastic sense of humor, my mom and my middle brother are both the peacemakers, and my dad is just a goofball. I had a very happy childhood, and I'm lucky to have grown up in such a supportive and relatively functional family. 

Share with your partner readers an embarrassing moment in your life.
I have such a good one for this. So I was getting my senior pictures taken in high school, which was mortifying enough on its own. I'm wearing an elastic waist skirt and sitting on railroad ties that surround a tree planter. The photographer tells me to stand up and rotate my knees the opposite direction. I stood up on the hem of my skirt, yanking it down to my knees, completely mooning him (in my underwear). In hindsight, it was hilarious. In the moment, I wanted to die.

When did you last cry in front of another person? By yourself?
In front of another person? I have no idea. I'm really not very much of a crier. By myself? Probably watching Undercover Boss or something. I have no explanation for it, but that show gets me.

Name three things you and your partner readers appear to have in common.
We are constantly in the pursuit of self-improvement. We love food. We love a good challenge.

3 comments:

  1. Undercover Boss, really? Okay, wait, I can see it. It gets pretty sappy at the end, doesn't it? (I've only caught a few pieces of episodes)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have no explanation for why this is the only TV show that gets tears from me. It's always the stories at the end!

    ReplyDelete
  3. He was a great sport! He immediately turned around and said "I didn't see anything!!" when it happened. Poor guy.

    ReplyDelete