Wednesday, December 10, 2014

On Not Playing the Victim



Weigh in Wednesday! Let's get right to it, shall we?


Last Week's Weight: 170.0
Current Weight: 170.4
Change: +0.4
Total Loss: -57.6

You know what? I'm totally okay with this slight gain. Mostly because I saw a much higher number when I was still de-bloating from NYC on Monday, and also because trips are right up there with parties in terms of the hardest places to control my eating. I'm calling this week not horrific, and my quest for the 160s continues (did I mention I have two holiday parties in the next week?). 

Earlier this week, I stumbled upon the quote below. I came across this quote on Instagram on Monday morning, as I was dragging my tired carcass to the gym because I knew I wouldn't be able to make myself go after work. I really connected with how perfectly this quote encompasses the mindset needed to succeed.  And it really struck me because this quote explains the fundamental mind shift that I think I had to go through in order to make weight loss work for me this time around. 


I've dieted on and off since I was a child. As in, like 10 years old. But every diet was unsuccessful because as soon as things got tough, or I didn't want to work out, or I was sore, or life got busy, or someone put a piece of pizza in front of me, I quit. I threw in the towel and said, "Welp, I am powerless in this situation! Looks like it's not gonna happen for me this time!"

But I wasn't powerless. I was--just like in every situation where it's easy to make the right decision--still completely empowered to make the right choice. I just decided not to make the right choice.  

I'm not saying it's easy (spoiler alert: it's not), but the years I spent playing the victim in the dieting game got me nowhere. Literally nowhere. 

Weight loss is certainly a bigger mental battle than it is a physical one. It requires constantly quieting the voice in your head that wants to stop at Starbucks, or grab a cookie from the kitchen, or order takeout because cooking feels like too much effort. It requires working out when you're tired, or sore, or lazy, or would rather be doing almost anything else. But wanting to succeed, even if you REALLY REALLY REALLY want it, is worthless. 

You have to decide

How was your weight-in Wednesday?

6 comments:

  1. You're just back from NYC? .04 is not bad at all! I went up almost 6lbs on my trip :/ (granted I was carbo loading, but still) I love your last paragraph about the mental battle. I pass by the drive thru Starbucks every morning and every morning there is a battle ensuing in my mind! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Trips are SO hard! I definitely indulged a little more than I planned, but I mostly stuck to my plan. .4 is definitely a victory for me! I pass by a chick-fil-a every morning... when they're passing out chickn' minis on the sidewalk, ayiyiyiiiii. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a super great quote, and one I've had to really keep in mind as of late. Sure, I could blow off the gym because I worked late, or I'm tired because the little one woke me up at butt o'clock in the morning, but if I'm going to lose this weight and get in shape, I've gotta go.


    Also, pfft, girl. 0.4 and you just came back from New York? I'd call that a win. Then again, whenever I go back, I have to hit up my favorite old neighborhood haunts - a dive bar with the best cheesesteak ever, and 1294382 bagel places, so.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh yes. I've had the quote on repeat in my mind all week. Work is definitely going to be nuts through the end of the year, but I left the office at 7p last night to make sure I had time for an hour at the gym before it closes at 8p. Pizza, a bagel and a cupcake were all on my NYC list, soooooo yes, I'm pretty glad the damage isn't worse! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Less! I got into a rut like that over the summer. I knew I was doing the wrong thing, but I had a hard time making myself care enough to correct it (or, I kept thinking that small cheats wouldn't add up). Following you back! :)

    ReplyDelete