Wednesday, November 26, 2014

Celebrating Thanksgiving Without Ditching Your Diet



Last Week's Weight: 173.6
Current Weight: 171.2
Change: -2.4
Total Loss: -56.8

Yeehaw! I'm back on track, just in time for the most gluttonous holiday of the year. I would LOVE LOVE LOVE to see a weight in the 160's next week, so that it's my challenge to myself.

This year, I'll be spending Thanksgiving with my college roommate and her family in the suburbs. I'll also be (GASP) sticking to Weight Watchers throughout the day. I'll be honest, I struggle with food in party/social situations, especially if I give myself permission to eat without parameters. I suck at intuitive eating because I love the taste of food and portion control is still a very real struggle for me. So, I need rules and structure in order to not go off the rails. Here's my plan and some tips I use to keep myself (mostly) locked up:
  • Track everything. WW has built-in flexibility so I can indulge a bit without throwing an entire week out the window. Tomorrow, I will be tracking my food to the best of my abilities. The more I indulge tomorrow, the less wiggle room I have for free points the rest of the week. 
  • Eat selectively and in small portions. Call me unamerican, but I don't like pumpkin pie, stuffing, or sweet potato casserole (SIDEBAR: I just re-read last year's Thanksgiving post and multiple people commented about squash as a side dish. I must look into this.) Anyway, I won't be "wasting" points on those foods, or any foods I don't LOVE. Instead, I'll plan to limit/avoid foods I don't love, so I can really enjoy my favorites (mashed potatoes! green bean casserole! dark meat turkey!)
  • Drink lots of water. I'm prone to sausage fingers when I overload on sodium, and staying hydrated helps. Also, dehydration is also sometimes mistaken for hunger, so this is my effort to counteract that.
  • Mindful eating the rest of the day. When I know I have a big meal coming up, I try not to use that as permission to throw the whole day away. I'll have a small and low-points breakfast, like I normally do, to save my points for the main event. It helps that I won't be at home where my mom makes her famous sticky buns!  
  • Just say no (to leftovers). Because I'm not celebrating at home, there won't be leftovers around to tempt me. If you are hosting, try to send guests away with most of the leftovers. Or, if the host asks you to take some, you can always politely decline. Out of sight, out of mind.
Having celebrated holidays both on plan (like the above) or with looser rules, having concrete limits in place is really important and helpful for me to stay in check, both on holidays and in the days after. 

Also, I learned this morning that my office gym is open as usual tomorrow! I was originally going to aim for an at-home workout, but now I know I'll be hitting the gym before I head out to the suburbs to see my friend's family. 

Lastly, I'll still be hosting Friday's #fit4fifteen linkup this week! Thanksgiving is just ONE DAY out of 365, so if you'll be back on track on Friday, join the linkup for some added accountability :)

Happy Thanksgiving friends!

2 comments:

  1. We lost the same amount this week! You have a great plan in place for tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. While we typically skip Thanksgiving dinners entirely, this year we're going to my grandmother's house, where 75% of the dishes are guaranteed to be cooked with lard. Thankfully, my mother is a vegetarian so I know there will be some dishes there that won't clog all of my arteries, but the name of the game, for me, will be to keep my plate (and portions) small. I hope you have a very nice holiday! I've got my fingers crossed for you to be in the 160s next week! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete