Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Lazy Girl's Sausage and Peppers

Newsflash: I like to eat good food, but I am quite possibly the laziest cook in existence when it comes to cooking for myself. While I love to cook more involved meals for other people, when it's just for me if it takes more than 45 minutes or involves more than 10 ingredients:


Thus, I present to you my latest kitchen success: Lazy Girl's Sausage and Peppers!

I feel like all of Instagram has been on a sausage and peppers kick, so, by Instagram osmosis, I suddenly had a hankering to create my own dish. I've actually never cooked sausage and peps before, so I went to the grocery store and completely winged it. Luckily, it turned out great.

Like my last recipe (all of my lazy girl recipes are here, for reference!), I feel like a fraud calling this a recipe because it's literally just a few ingredients thrown together, but here it is for all your pinning glory.


Lazy Girl's Sausage and Peppers
(Serves 5)

Ingredients:

  • Jennie-O Spicy Italian Turkey Sausage
  • Progresso Recipe Starters in Fire-Roasted Tomato
  • 1 red bell pepper
  • 1 green bell pepper
  • 1 yellow bell pepper
  • 1 large-ish onion
  • olive oil
  • salt and pepa
Instructions:
  1. Attempt to slice the sausages before you realize your knife isn't sharp enough. Settle for squeezing the sausage meat of their meat tubes (...gross) and into a pan over medium heat. Use a spatula to break up the sausage into smaller pieces.
  2. While the sausage is browning, slice peppers and onions into thin strips. Food Network says they should be the same size to the veggies cook evenly, but I failed knife skills 101 so I prefer my cuts to look "rustic."
  3. Once the sausage is browned, remove it from the pan, leaving the grease (there's not much) in the pan. Add the onions to the pan first, and return to heat.
  4. One the onions are semi-translucent (2-3 minutes), add your peppers. Salt lightly and pepper generously. I added about 1 TBS of olive oil at this point because the veggies were sticking to my pan, but if your pan is from this century and non-stick (mine isn't), you could probably skip this step.
  5. Cook the veggies to your desired doneness-- I like mine cooked through but still crisp, which takes about 6-8 minutes. 
  6. Add the can of Progresso and add the sausage back to the pan. Heat until the sauce is bubbly.
Badaboom, that's it! I served mine over brown rice which created a plentiful portion and pretty good nutrition stats. Including my brown rice (Trader Joes' Quick-Cook Basmati Brown Rice), each serving came to 380 calories, 14g of fat, 45g of carbs and 22g of protein. I bet this would be great over roasted spaghetti squash for a lower carb alternative!

Care to share any of your lazy girl cooking tips? 

3 comments:

  1. I've made something VERY similar and put it over spaghetti squash and it was DELICIOUS. Looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dang girl. Looks good! I'm adding this to my recipe collection. Love how it's so simple and easy to do!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Carolyn!

    Your blog has caught our attention because of the quality of the recipes. We would be delighted if you would join us at http://www.mytaste.com/ so that we could link to it.

    myTaste.com is a search engine that compiles the best American cooking sites and blogs from the Internet. Several hundred blogs are already enrolled here and are taking benefit from the traffic we are sending to their sites.

    To join myTaste, just go to http://www.mytaste.com/add-your-food-blog

    Best regards,
    Elin
    MyTaste.com

    ReplyDelete