Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Mantras

Weigh In Wednesday


Last Week's Weight: 169.4
Current Weight: 169.2
Change: -0.2
Total Loss: -58.8

WELP. Considering I saw a lower number earlier this week, I'm annoyed. Considering I definitely ate/drank above my calories more than once last week, I'll take it. 

On a more exciting note, yesterday marked the beginning of Week 2 of the Chicago Achievers Project (you can read about my Week 1 recap here). While the group had clearly dwindled from week 1 (womp womp, hopefully that's only because of the weather), the FitBits are clearly paying off-- collectively we walked from Chicago to NYC! The goal is for us to "walk" across the country by the end of the program.

The evening started off with each coach sharing some of their favorite fit tips, which I really liked. Some of my favorites (and how I've used these in my own life):

Let change start simply. Make small choices that will add up to big changes over time.
100% yes! I started by simply choosing healthier options at my favorite fast food places (Potbelly, for example), and eating a lot of Smart Ones. Eventually I started to feel comfortable cooking healthier at home and controlling my portions. I walked before I ran, literally and figuratively.

This picture has absolutely no relevance other than that I love it.


Write your goals down and put them somewhere you'll see them every day.  
YUP. Here's my half marathon plan that I hung on my fridge, before and after. I logged every week's goal total mileage and my actual mileage every single week.




Find an attachment to your why. Just having motivation won't help you when you want to quit. Whether it's for your spouse, your kids, yourself, you just need to find your why.
Not having a concrete why is absolutely why I failed at losing weight in the past. It might have taken me awhile to actually articulate exactly what keeps me disciplined, but I finally found my why

Identify the barriers from your past so you can work to your strengths. 
One of my favorite fitness bloggers, Sharee from Funeral for my Fat, talks about this a lot. Don't start a weight loss program built upon habits you hate-- that's the perfect way to set yourself up for failure! I hate heavily-choreographed group exercise and celery, so if I forced myself to dance Zumba and eat celery all the time, I would've quit before I even saw results! Instead, I focused on finding a plan (both diet and exercise) that was sustainable for me in the long run.

With fit tips and inspiration running high, I left last night thinking about my own favorite manta. The one phrase I've really connected with and that speaks most to me on this weight loss journey. As a [recovering] queen of excuses, without a doubt this is it:




What tips or mantras keep you focused on the endgame?

7 comments:

  1. This isn't a diet, it's a life change. I need to keep reminding myself of this. The less I treat it like a diet, the less resentment I have, for not eating the way I used too.

    Also, like you, I find it hard to not see the weight falling off faster, but then I look back over my progress and see all those little amounts adding up in the long term. You can do it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's my favorite too. I have a ton if them. Lol. Ok so question for you. How did they figure out how much protein, carbs you're suppose to get. I'm at a standstill in weight lose and trying to get over the dreaded plateau I've been stuck in for months.

    ReplyDelete
  3. uh your math is wrong, 170.6 - 169.2 = 1.4 loss (and that ROCKS). unless you are taking it from another number the answer is not 0.2 lb loss. (i should mention that ive been doing accounting work for work today, so my brain is all about numbers).

    ReplyDelete
  4. What program are you using for the half marathon training? I am trying to find one to start at the end of February.
    Thanks for linking up - keep up the good work :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I try and map out my workouts in advance too, When is your half marathon? I'm doing the Rock n Roll Dallas every year. I love it! :)

    http://whatadventuresawait.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love these tips! My favorites are letting change start simply and making changes you can stick with for the long run. I know when I try to change too much at once I end up failing, or when I try to change something that I will struggle to stick with.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Over at Take Free Bitcoin you may recieve free bitcoins. 8 to 22 satoshis per 5 minutes.

    ReplyDelete