Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Chicago Achievers Project

Exciting news, followed by this week's weigh-in (at the end): Yesterday officially marked the start of the Chicago Achievers Project, a really awesome fitness/motivational program I'm really excited to join (...can you tell?). Basically for the next four weeks myself and 249 other Chicagoans are embarking on a fitness journey with the help of some truly inspirational coaches and weight loss experts.



Last night was our kickoff. I didn't know what to expect, so I actually went to work out at my office gym beforehand, so I was appropriately sweaty and smelly to meet everyone (nice). When we walked in we were given our FitBit Flexes (score!) and two CorePower protein drinks (...one of which I promptly chugged because I was hungry from the gym.) Keepin' it classy. 

Check out my sweet scar-- this is what happens when you mess with me.
Just kidding, I had a cyst removed.
The meeting began with a brief introduction to the program, and an informal meet & greet with the personal trainers. The participants really are a hodgepodge of people in every stage of the weight loss journey from very beginners to people who are pretty fit, but still looking to lose weight. The excitement was contagious, to be among a group of people so motivated to really change their lives.

The trainers all introduced themselves and they are quite the seasoned bunch. We have a running coach (who writes the running program for The Biggest Loser run/walk series), an actor/writer, a former bodybuilder, a professional dancer, a former wildlife firefighter and more. Each Achiever will be paired up with a trainer who will be checking in our progress via our FitBits, and appropriately pushing us to meet our goals.


Next, Andrea Metcalf gave us a breakdown of our nutritional goals which was the part that I was most curious about. I've really been nailing my nutritional goals (per MFP and WW) lately, but I feel like it's not reflecting on the scale. Andrea told us that the rules are simple: we need to eat 9-11 servings of fruit and veggies per day, and 80-100 grams of protein each day. Once we accomplish that, we're free to eat whatever we want! Bring on the Jimmy Jo---

Wait, hold the phone, I was only at 57 grams of protein and 5 servings of fruits and veggies for the day. At 7:30pm. And that was including the protein drink I chugged in the first 5 minutes of the meeting. WUT.

Suffice to say, I'm more than ready to change things up nutritionally if that means getting better results. They're not crazy changes, but just being more mindful of the quality of foods I'm eating. I can do that.

So I hit up the grocery store for greek yogurt, and plan on starting my day with greek yogurt smoothies to knock out both protein and freggies at once. My goal for the next week is to focus on these things, while still being mindful of WW and MFP principles. In addition, I'm aiming for 10,000 steps a day, as logged by the FitBit.

Today's weigh-in Wednesday will also serve as my starting point for the CAP, and hopefully I can knock a few el bees of this number by the end of the program:

Last Week's Weight: 170.6
Current Weight: 169.4
Change: -1.2
Total Loss: -58.6


Challenge accepted.

Do you have a FitBit? Let's be friends!


Weigh In Wednesday

10 comments:

  1. Wow that sounds like an awesome program! I'm just as excited for you as you are about it I think. And you get to keep the FitBit when it's all said and done? I'll be interested to see how changing up your diet goes and how you manage to get all those fruits and veggies plus all of that protein in!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Smoothies are the way to go in the morning to ramp up your protein and veggies. I usually do spinach, almond milk, a frozen banana (or any type of frozen fruit but bananas are my favorite) and a scoop of vanilla protein powder. So good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow that sounds like a wonderful program! Neato! I *HAD* a fitbit but it bit the big one (finally). It's not holding a charge. I'm anguished about it because I did love mine! Oh well.

    Excellent loss this week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's so cool! I love smoothies! I have no fitbit sorry I can't be friends. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. That program sounds so awesome! Let me know how you like the fit bit flex, my dad is interested in one. He doesn't want a Polar HRM like I have. At 60 yrs old he's in the best shape of his life, definitely an inspiration to me!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds like an awesome program! How'd you ever get involved?

    You'll have to let me know how your diet goes. That is a lot of protein, but is there a specific amount of working out that is expected of you?

    TOTALLY JEALOUS about the fitbit. I've been thinking about getting one, I just haven't bit the bullet yet.

    ReplyDelete
  7. this sounds like a fantastic programme, I've never heard of anything like it before but it sound super! I'm with Shannon, that's a phenomenal amount of protein!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have a green smoothie every day for breakfast. Drinking them is such an easy way to sneak in extra fruits and veggies. I'm doing the 30-day challenge through this website http://simplegreensmoothies.com/ . You should check it out for recipe ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can't wait to follow your progress throughout! Way to go, Carolyn! I'll be doing some road races including Shamrock Shuffle and Soldier Field 10 miler so if you're also into that experience we can link up! Cheers. - Gideon

    ReplyDelete