Monday, September 30, 2013

Back in Action



After a busy weekend, it's back to the grind! As is probably obvious from the lack of blogging lately, work/life balance has gotten the best of me. I spent 24 hours on a whirlwind trip to LA for work, was trying to prepare for this past weekend's 10K, and on and on and on. But hopefully things will slow down enough around here that I can get back into some sort of routine! Or, at least get better at juggling things.

Saturday was the long-awaited Chicago Crosstown Classic 10K! I've actually never run a 10K, so it was a new race distance for me. Sadly, I was complete idiot on Friday and my hydration and eating were stupidly bad (dinner was brown rice and cool ranch doritos... like a pro). We woke up bright and early Saturday morning to make it downtown by 7:30 for the 8am race start. Had time to snap some pictures and line up with the 10:30 pacers and we were off!




Aside from the terrible hydration and eating on Friday, my biggest regret of the race was lining up with the 10:30ers. As is often the case, there were many people not running a 10:30 pace in our group, so that meant a looooot of leapfrogging around for the first mile and a half. The paths were fairly narrow, which made it a little annoying to have to jostle for space. Otherwise, the race went pretty smoothly. I dealt with a stitch for about 2 miles which slowed me down a little bit, but I had enough energy in the tank to BOOK it the last .15 miles, meaning that I know I could've picked up my pace a bit overall. Either way, I'm pretty happy with my 1:03 time (especially considering I think the course may have been closer to 6.4 than 6.2). Another one in the books, and now setting my sights on the Hot Chocolate 15K in November!

And now, onto the goals:











1) Running Plan: 18-20 miles. I haven't created an official plan for my 15K in November, but I'll basically have to do long runs of 7, 8 and 9 miles in the coming weekends in order to be ready to run on November 2nd. I'm still trying to figure out my non-running fitness game plan (considering the fitness studio was a bust), but in the meantime, I'll focus on running while the weather's still nice!

2) Healthy Eats. If I bite it, write it. I accidentally went on an Ore0-binge on Saturday night. OOPS. But I'm all stocked up with fruits and veggies and other healthy foods for the week, so I have no excuses for unhealthy eating. 

Link up with your goals for the week!




4 comments:

  1. "If I bite it, write it" that's an awesome phrase and I'm totatlly going to have to pinch it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You were in LA!?!? We should have had you know... some fatty meal :) haha!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A 10K in an hour, that's AMAZING! Definitely one of my goals in the future. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Reading posts like yours makes we want to get into this running "thing" real bad lol.

    ReplyDelete