Monday, August 12, 2013

Clean Slate

Last week was a crazy week! But in a desperate attempt to adjust back to life as a working girl, I put on my big girl panties and cleaned my room this weekend. Clean room, clean slate.

So, after Ireland, I spend last week trying to detox, and it worked! I actually weighed in this morning around 175, so I'm hoping I'll be back to my pre-vacation weight for this week's weigh-in.

Before I jump into this week's goals, I thought I'd recap this weekend's epic 10-miler for Motivation Monday!

Daily Dose of Del Signore

To say my 10-miler yesterday was rough would be an understatement. I tried to mentally pump myself up before the run, but I was just feeling off. I've really been struggling with my sleeping lately (I'll wake up multiple times through the night), so I snoozed my alarm at 6 and didn't end up starting until 9am. It wasn't too hot, but the sun was beating down more than if I had just run at 7am like I wanted to.

After the stomach rumbles I experienced on my 8-miler, I thought I'd try eating something pre-run, so I ate a banana and 3 Shot Bloks about 30 minutes before I left. It sat like a rock in my stomach for the first 30 minutes, and before I even hit the 2-mile mark, I was really questioning whether or not I could complete the run. I pushed through and started to hit my stride around mile 4, when I was finally able to push the negative thoughts out of my head. However, I was pretty freakin' annoyed that RunKeeper skipped about a half mile ahead, so all my pace calculations were off.


Miles 4-8 weren't too bad, though I did stop in a Mickey D's quick for a pee-break. But then I really started to hit a wall. There was a point around mile 8 where I just had to pause RunKeeper and stand on the sidewalk for a few minutes. I wasn't sure if I was going to puke, poop, or pass out, but I just felt a wave of woof. After some deep breaths and a few deep knee bends, the feeling passed and I got my ass in gear for the last push. 



I did have to take two short walk breaks, but I did the damn thing! It's insane to me that 9 months ago, I could barely run half a mile without stopping. And yesterday I ran for almost two full hours. Ten entire miles! And check out that activity point burn-- 23 APs! Suffice to say I housed a Subway footlong when I finally regained my appetite a few hours after running.

A few other scattered thoughts:

  • After I got home and sat down, I legitimately feared that I wouldn't be able to stand up again.
  • My muscles are definitely a little sore, but my feet were hurting when I got home. 
  • I got a blister on my finger from carrying a water bottle. 
  • I'm thinking/hoping my slower pace is a result of taking the week off, not from the distance alone. All of my long runs up to this point were at a 10:15-10:30 pace. 
  • I need a better way of carrying fuel. The butt pocket on my leggings isn't that easy to access on the move. Any fuel belt recos?
Onward and upward, I've got an 11-miler on tap for this week, and look out for a post about my half marathon goal soon :)


As for this week's goals...

Operation Skinny Jeans

Last week the plan was to drink a lot of water, get in all my scheduled runs, and get back to healthy eating. And I did pretty well! Nailed all my runs except Sunday's 4-miler (whoops), and definitely reigned in my eating back to normal.

Here's what I'm working on this week:

1) Strength Training at least 2-3 times. I've been slacking on the strength front, because running alone has done really good things for my legs. But my guns still need some serious toning! 

2) Get back on a regular sleep schedule. I'm a night owl by nature, but I need to get back on a regular sleep schedule so I'm not snoozing through my morning runs. I've just realllllly been struggling with sleep lately, so I'm open to any suggestions!

What goals are you working on this week?

12 comments:

  1. 10 miles is awesome!! You are doing so great. Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Woohoo for 10 miles! I don't run because I can't stand to do it outdoors let alone indoor...lol! I'll have to stick with my Zumba and weights for now. Keep up the good work and hope you figure out a way for that water bottle so you don't end up with more blisters.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 10 miles is crazy awesome. I hope one day I can share a similar story. I think I have the heart of a runner, but my stupid knees tell me "no way". I'm just hoping that if I take is slow and continue to get some weight/pressure off my knees it will be better. Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nicely done, lady! I had a 9-miler yesterday and I am limping today! Clearly I need to work on my old-lady hip flexors more throughout the week--they are way too tight going into these longer runs!

    I use a fuel belt that carries two smaller bottles, which works pretty well (sorry--don't remember the brand). It's nice having two because it balances out and they're shorter, so they don't get in the way as much. Have fun belt shopping--gear is so addicting! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great job on 10 miles, when you weren't feeling it! Your poor finger- that's definitely an unexpected running injury lol

    Jen
    Jen.amileamemory@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! 10 miles is super!! I bet you were a little sore the next day. I hope you figure out a better way to carry the water bottle. There must be something better.

    ReplyDelete
  7. http://thefitfoot.blogspot.com

    Congrats on your 10 miles. I will only use the ifitness water bottle holder, they are great a little pricey but I think it is worth it. Here is the link on amazon http://www.amazon.com/iFitness-12-OZ-Hydration-Black-Medium/dp/B00A49RF0K/ref=sr_1_2?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1376342122&sr=1-2

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nothing like a clean room to help me have a clean fresh start my fitness! I like you already. 10 miles!? Get it girl! I've yet to venture past fully running more than 10mins. As for your snack carrying dilemma, would I be offensive in suggesting a fanny pack?haha You could be THE ONE to bring sexy back with a fanny pack. Thanks for linking up.
    P.S. I don't remember drinking before trying to comment on your post and yet the amount of typos I had would beg to differ. Sorry:(

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's awesome about the 10 miles! Go girl! I just finished my first complete mile yesterday on the treadmill, so I'm where you were 9 months ago! I can't wait to see what the next 9 months hold for me!

    And I'm with you on the clean room, clean slate, and sticking to the two weekly goals of strength training and a sleep schedule! I've started weight lifting 1-2 days a week, with yoga added in (which definitely makes a difference in my arms!). I am a morning person, but only if I get 7-8 hours. Under 7 hours, I'm struggling!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Iam in for ST too, it's been a hard coming back for me

    ReplyDelete