Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Weigh In and Burn Out

Pretty Strong Medicine

I'm linking up with Heather, Ash, Bailey, and Amy for this week's Weigh In Wednesday. Click the picture above if you'd like to join!

Previous Weight: 178
Current Weight: 175.6
Change: -2.4
Total Loss: -52.4

After my earlier worries about running into a plateau, I'm happy to see the scale moving in the right direction! My eating definitely could've been better last week, so I'm looking forward to getting back on a better plan and following my goals for this week. I would love to be in the 160's (haven't been there since... HS?) when I travel to Ireland in 2.5 weeks, but I realize that's lofty!

On a less optimistic note, I'm a little worried about my half marathon training plan. When I chose a plan, I ended up with this one because I liked the challenge of 5 runs/week, and knowing that the longest pre-half run was a full 12 miles. But, with my weekly mileage now entering new territory for me (this week is 23 miles! eep!), I'm worried about body burn out.

Currently in Week 4, a third of the way through!

I had an "easy 5" on tap this morning, and it was anything but. Part of the issue is that I've been running too late in the morning, when the sun is already getting pretty hot (I think it was 84 this AM)... so that definitely added to the difficulty. But since finishing the run (in a slow [for me] 56 minutes), I've been hobbling around my apartment. My hips and upper quads are so sore. Like, lifting one leg at a time to put on shoes is painful. It's weird, because I've never felt soreness in this area before.

I'm slated to run 3 tomorrow, with a rest day on Friday, a 4-miler on Saturday and a 6-miler on Sunday. I'm flip-flopping Saturday and Sunday, because I'd rather run my 6 with fresh legs after a rest day. I also visited my local running store (Universal Sole, if you're in the Chicago area!) and got some Shot Blocks and Cliff Gels to test out fueling methods on my long run this weekend. I typically don't eat in the morning before my runs, so I'm planning on fueling 45-minutes pre-run, and then 45 minutes into my long run. Big thanks to Kate from The Wigeon Nest for the tip to test out fueling methods during my training runs!  

Tomorrow morning I will be waking up earlier to get my run in before the heat sets in. I want to be able to gauge whether it's A) the heat or B) my training plan that's making things difficult. From there, I may change one running day into a cross-training day if I need to. I mentioned my concerns to the guy who helped me at Universal Sole, and he advised that it's better to be under-trained than burned out on race day, so I'm trying to find my balance.

How was your weigh in Wednesday? Have you ever had to adjust a race training plan mid-way through?



5 comments:

  1. Congrats on the loss! That's awesome.

    Good luck figuring out your training. I've never trained for a long distance before but I have friends that have - definitely listen to your body and don't push it too hard or increase speed/distance too quickly. You can do it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great loss for the week :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wahoo on the loss!! Ireland?! That will be a blast!! Five days a week seems like a lot to me, maybe you just need more rest days!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great loss this week. I subbed cross training for some runs on my last half training. I don't think it hurt. I was physically tired of running. Good luck with your training.

    ReplyDelete