Monday, July 8, 2013

Plat...oh?

I accidentally skipped last week's weigh-in post due to random excuses I won't bore you with. Either way, here are the deets:


Previous Weight: 177.6 
Current Weight: 178
Change: +0.4
Total Loss: 50.0

After the previous week's killer weigh-in (and milestone moment), I'm a little torn about how I felt about this past week. On one hand, I didn't eat my best (but was well within my daily + weekly + activity points allowance for the week). On the other hand, I've been putting up some awesome losses in the weeks since Memorial Day, and while I knew they wouldn't last forever, I wasn't prepared for a gain (no matter how small).

Last week's PP log the night before weigh-in.
Eating was weird that day.

The truth is, I know I've had it relatively easy in my weight loss journey to date. I've been on WW for just shy of 8 months, and have only experienced "gain" weigh-ins 7 times (one of which was definitely a scale issue). This means I've experienced losses over 80% of the time-- pretty awesome!

I'm not out of the woods yet, though. I've still got 28lbs to lose to get to my first goal weight of 150lbs (which I may reevaluate once I get there). And as I get closer to goal, I know I'm definitely more likely to experience slower weight loss-- or worse: the dreaded plateau. 
I know for certain that I've been thrown off my by PP decrease in the past few weeks. I was only at 30PP a day for 2-3 weeks, when I quickly dropped down to 29PP/day. And that is a hard adjustment to make, if not physically, then mentally. I could mentally "budget" 10PP/meal (although I never eat a 10PP breakfast) and be fine. Now I'm really trying to figure out how to spread my points throughout the day so I'm not starving mid-afternoon or gorging at dinner.

Operation Skinny Jeans

So, aside from July 4th when I accidentally deliberately ate a 7/11 sandwich as a throwback to my pre-WW terrible eating habits, here are my goals (linking up with Jess!) that I hope will help in fending off a plateau:
  • Stay HONEST about my tracking. I almost didn't track that damn sandwich, but what good would that have done me in the long term?
  • Quality > Quantity. 4PP worth of avocado is way better for me than 4PP worth of Doritos (which, btw, I ate this afternoon. WHY?! I don't even really like Doritos. I blame my roommate. She left them on the counter after I got back from my long run.)
  • Back to basics. Jess from Operation Skinny Jeans talked last month about getting back to basics and eating clean. Admittedly, I've yet to do the research + planning necessary for a fully clean diet, but it's still great advice. Getting laid off has thrown a strange wrench in my eating habits (skipping breakfast and overcompensating with lunch and dinner), so it's time to readjust and go back to what I know works for me. And I know that means more fruits + veggies, and three meals with two snacks.
  • No skipping workouts. Half marathon training is ramping up, and all run distances beyond 6 miles (which is the long run this coming weekend) are foreign territory to me. No wimping out now. 

I've been doing a little research on how others are fending off plateaus via WW, and there are a number of other strategies. Some advise increasing/decreasing your points (I currently eat all dailies and all weeklies, but I try not to touch my activity points, even though these always outnumber my 49 weeklies). Others suggest taking a few days completely off (exercise, eating, or both) to let your body "reset" after strict adherence to a plan for awhile.

Disclaimer: I realize I'm not currently experiencing an actual plateau. I'm just engaged in some good old-fashioned pre-medidated worrying, and trying to prepare myself (mentally, physically, nutritionally) for what could happen.

Did you ever experience a plateau on your weight-loss journey? How have you busted through a plateau?

16 comments:

  1. I have to start staying honest with my tracking too, but you're right it's not going to do me any good if I don't. I'm currently stuck in a plateau myself and I know this is why. Good luck with your goals this week! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Angela-- here's hoping that honesty will get the scale moving in the right direction again :)

      Delete
  2. I was stuck in a plateau early on and I found it was because I wasn't getting enough calories in. I too wasn't eating back any of my activity calories. By just increasing my calories a little bit I started losing again. Good luck this week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Way to go on the tracking anyway. I am tempted to do that as well sometimes. I heard someone say that if you eat it then you need to own it and that has stuck with me ever is since. I feel that I am starting to hit a plateau. I can't seem to break out of a certain number range no matter what I do. I am increasing my activity (like actually doing something now) and limiting the amount of bonus points I allow myself to eat. Hopefully this will help me lose some. Good luck this week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That extra activity has to help! I definitely say a difference in my losses once I started adding consistent running into my mix. Good luck this week to you too!

      Delete
  4. Well I just love this post! You have a great take-charge attitude!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Even though it sounds like you know it already, don't get discouraged from a slight weight bump on the scale. Pay more attention to how you feel and how your clothes are fitting. I'm int he process of trying to clean up my diet as well and "eat clean" and I've found if I don't but it, I can't eat it (though roommates leaving Doritos around do pose a problem lol) Good luck girl!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely! Clothes are a better indicator (and motivator) than my scale :)

      Delete
  6. After hitting a big milestone, I think a little gain/I call it maintenance since no MAJOR change, is AWESOME!!! You maybe didn't track or wasn't completely on, but that's what maintenance will be like and you learned that you can still stay within a good range :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good point-- I didn't think about it that way! I've got a ways to go until maintenance, but I'll definitely keep that in mind once I get there!!

      Delete
  7. Good for you for still tracking!! I would also be pre-worrying about a plateau too!! Ha ha I freak about everything! I felt like I had to get back to basics myself a couple weeks ago! I had to forget about clean eating and no breads, no sugars, blah blah! I'm just not there yet, I will be someday, but it was just too overwhelming for me!! I think it's great you're already planning in how to get through this!! You've got this lady!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I'm so glad I'm not the only one who prematurely worries!! Clean eating seems like a pretty big hurdle right now, but I think taking baby steps in the right direction will still hopefully help :)

      Delete
  8. Great post! I feel like I am the same way - I really need to set some more concrete goals and really work towards them. It's such a process and it's easy to get derailed. And eating clean is always challenging. Kudos to you for doing a half training program!! I just re-started my 10K training yet again. I hope I'll finish it this time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks lady-- good luck on your 10K training!! I have only run 6 miles once so far, and it was definitely a challenge (but a good one!).

      Delete
  9. I think losses 80% of the time is a great achievement for 8 months! Mine has been about 8 months now too and very similar to yours in terms of mostly losses and my gains were usually maintenance or temporary gains.

    Did you ever experience a plateau on your weight-loss journey? How have you busted through a plateau?

    I busted through mine but stopping everything for 3 weeks and just eating intuitively, I also changed my exercise style and then when I checked the scales 3 weeks later I'd dropped 5lbs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh that's a great approach! I've never tried eating intuitively, but I've seen some blogs of other people who have done it (with varying degrees of success). My ultimate goal is that WW will teach me how to eat intuitively, so that once I get to goal, I can maintain that way. Congrats on your own weight loss!!

      Delete