Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Day by Day

L: October 2012 (228lbs). R: July 2013 (176lbs).

I cringe at the picture on the left every time. Because I had no idea how out of control I had let my weight get. As I've said before, I've always had relatively decent self esteem as an adult (childhood and middle school is an entirely different story). Before I saw this picture, I thought I looked as good as I always did. In fact, I loved that striped dress because I thought it was slimming.

But the photos don't lie.

And when every photo is "a bad angle," something's gotta give.

I certainly didn't get to 228lbs overnight. And I won't get to my goal overnight either. But day by day, I get a little bit closer.

And the fact that I can eat a salad and not feel deprived is progress.

And the fact that it's harder for me to convince myself to take rest days than it is to convince myself to work out is progress.

And the fact that I feel confident in a body-skimming white dress is progress. (I never wore white when I was bigger).

And the fact that, at 24 years old, I just bought my first bikini is progress.

And the fact that I stand up straighter and no longer try to hide is progress.

And now, 8 months after starting, I see changes in myself that I truly never believed I was capable of.

If I can do it, anyone can do it.

Day by day.

9 comments:

  1. Great job. Your hard work has paid off. I can relate to this so much. I had those "special" outfits that I swore made me look skinnier. I was only fooling myself though. Every morning, I didn't see the large me- I saw a girl that needed to loose some weight but I didn't think it was THAT bad. Boy was I wrong. Seeing old pictures was a real eye opener.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Brandy! I was exactly the same way. I could not BELIEVE when I stepped on the scale and saw my highest weight ever. The old pictures are definitely good motivation to keep going!

      Delete
  2. Wow! What a difference. You look fantastic! Again, congrats! I wrote something on my blog today about starting to feel like I'm getting the hang of this new lifestyle. It's empowering! And you are inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You look amazing!!! Keep up that hard work, it's paying off big time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this post! I love your before and after photos. I can totally relate when you say, you didn't realize how out of control you let your weight get, because you didn't have low self-esteem. It's like your read my mind!

    SO happy I found your blog and I really look forward to seeing all your success! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a different perspective, but I'm glad you can relate! It's weird because I didn't have bad self-esteem, so I think that was what allowed me to be complacent with my weight. But I also didn't realize how much greener the grass could be on the other side :)

      Delete
  5. You look so fabulous! And you definitively have the right attitude; you always need to focus on how far you've come, not how far you have to go. That's always hard for me to remember!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love that white dress! I definitely need to start taking some progress pictures so I can see the difference in myself. Taking before pictures is hard though.

    ReplyDelete