Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Swimsuit Season

It's Tuesday night and I'm currently watching Extreme Weight Loss, aka my new favorite show. For the unfamiliar, it's kinda like Extreme Makeover except the contestants are given a trainer and (some pretty insane) weight loss benchmarks along the 12-month process. If they meet their final goal, contestants are given skin removal surgery.

The girl on tonight's episode just ran a marathon. She started at 314 lbs, and about 3/4 the way through her journey, after never running more than 10 miles at once, she ran a freaking marathon. And even though she struggled, and there was a point where it seemed like she might quit, she did it. And seeing the look on her face when she finished, and how proud of herself she was, it was just so empowering.

So now I'm starting to think I may actually be crazy enough to sign up for the Chicago Half Marathon on September 8th. I haven't pulled the trigger to register yet, but my 12-week training plan will start a week from Saturday if I go for it. Eeeeeeeeeeek.

ANYWAY, I ran to Target after work just to "browse," which typically means leaving with $85 worth of stuff I suddenly really needed as soon as I saw it in the store. Well, while browsing the women's section, I saw the swimsuits, and decided I'd try on a monokini (the one piece with side/back cutouts) and decided to try it on "just to see."

Well, it didn't fit.

But, it was actually not terrible looking. And for a girl who absolutely loathes swimsuit shopping (the only chore worse than bra shopping), the fact that I didn't hate how I looked in it is a pretty big victory. Unfortunately it was far too small on the girls (story of my life), but knowing that it's possible for me to actually not hate myself in a swimsuit has me jonesin' for a new one. I've never worn a bikini in my life (literally, never in my entire life, not even as a tot), but now I'm thinking it might be a possibility down the road once I'm a little more comfortable in my body.

Sidenote: However hard you think swimsuit shopping is, multiply that by 10. That's how hard it is for me. Finding non-plus size swimsuits in my bra size is like trying to unearth sunken treasures from the bottom of the ocean. Also you don't have an oxygen tank. Also you're blind. You think I'm kidding. I'M NOT.

After much searching of the internet, here are the suits I've got my eye on:

Source: BraStop
Source: Swimsuits for All

Source: Bare Necessities

Got any swimsuit store recommendations? I'd love to hear them!

No comments:

Post a Comment