Thursday, June 27, 2013

Life Lessons

button

You learn a lot about yourself when you lose 50lbs. And it's weird, because at 24, I thought I knew myself pretty well. But my NSV this week is getting to know a whole new side of myself that was hiding before I started this weight loss journey. 

I've learned...
  • I actually do have willpower *GASP*. I just chose not to exercise decision-making skills before starting this journey. Because, yeah, sometimes it IS easier to go the unhealthy route.
  • You can lose weight without exercise. But you can't get stronger and more toned without exercise.
  • I am stronger than my excuses, and my excuses won't get me to where I'm going.
  • Healthy eating habits start in the grocery store. I can't be trusted around: nutella, pita chips, naan, Pirate's Booty. Therefore I never (or very rarely) buy these things.
  • Fruits and vegetables can be satisfying snacks or desserts.
  • Just because I drank doesn't mean I need drunk food.
  • Telling people about your changes really does make it easier to stick with them.
  • I can have a delicious and filling breakfast that isn't a McDonald's egg, bacon, and cheese bagel sandwiches.
  • I don't deserve bad food just because I: ran this morning/had a bad day/am on my period/am not on my period/it's a <insert day here>/it's the winter/etc.
  • I deserve good food because good food helps my body to continue losing weight and working out.
  • Sometimes a good run after a tough day can feel just as good as ordering fattening food from GrubHub.
  • I'm not as terrible of a runner as I thought I was. And I'm getting better and stronger every day!
  • Pinning exercises on Pinterest still doesn't qualify as actually doing them... no longer how long I leave the browser window open.
  • Rest days are a gift from God.
  • So is the 80's cardio Pandora station.
  • One cheat meal doesn't mean I should eat crap for the rest of the week and then just "start over on Monday."
  • Moderation isn't just a 13-point word in Scrabble.
  • Everyone who said my boobs would shrink as soon as I started losing weight was wrong. So, so wrong.
  • I won't feel miserable and empty and deprived if I eat a salad at Trivia instead of a burger and fries.
  • Margaritas are still totally worth 8 points... sometimes.
What has your weight loss journey taught you?

18 comments:

  1. LOVE this list!!!! Mind if I tweet a link?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE this!!! You are so right on all of these! Eating a salad feels better than a burger and fries to me anyways bc then I don't feel all guilty and gross! Also I loved the a good run can make you feel as good as crap food! So so true!! Thanks so much for linking up with us!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! I definitely never feel guilty when I pick a salad over something greasy! :)

      Delete
  3. What a great list of reminders! Weight loss, while sometimes frustrating, is often so satisfying and it's good to remind ourselves of this.

    You've got yourself a new follower! Love your blog.

    - Caitlin from Weights and Measure

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Caitlin-- glad these thoughts rang true :)

      Delete
  4. Love your list! Learning to enjoy and appreciate healthy food is such an on going lesson. Also, kudos on the trivia food! I actually went to eating a salad (something healthy in general) BEFORE going to trivia and I save 10 dolla! Ha!

    P.S. Everyone says that about boobs. Nope, still waiting for it also.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're better than I am-- I don't know if I could watch others nomming without having something myself. And about the boobs... SERIOUSLY!?! *Sigh* Can't win 'em all!

      Delete
  5. LOVE LOVE LOVE this! What a valuable lesson. Glad you posted.

    -http://herweightlossdiary.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much lady-- glad these lessons ring true for others :)

      Delete
  6. Love this! Fantastic job!

    Alexis from anotherpoundlost.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alexis! Glad you enjoyed :)

      Delete
  7. Great list! I need to print it out and pin it to my forehead. Because that pinning means more than a Pinterest pin! I love this one and need to remember it too: I don't deserve bad food just because I: ran this morning/had a bad day/am on my period/am not on my period/it's a /it's the winter/etc.

    So glad I clicked on your link from KTJ!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha YES! That is one of the biggest revelations on this list. I let my "I deserve this" moments get WAY out of control, and that was the biggest contributor to my weight gain. Glad you like the list! :)

      Delete
  8. Real willpower takes training. The way i test my willpower is by going through pain(cold showers, hot peppers). It`s crazy but it works!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great List! 50 pounds is Awesome! Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Becky! Hoping this momentum will keep me going (especially with the holiday this week, eeeeep!)

      Delete
  10. This is such a great list. Its amazing how much trying to lose weight teaches us about ourselves and our bodies....and other people! Keep up the amazing work and I'm so jealous you kept your boobs. ;)

    ReplyDelete