Thursday, May 23, 2013

You Talkin' To Me?

button
NSVs Linkup with Lex and KTJ

In all honesty, I think the only reason why I've experienced the success I have on this fitness journey thus far (which is the last in a long line of many half-assed attempts), is because I'm doing it for me. 

When I've tried to change my lifestyle in the past, it's been for superficial short-lived reasons: because I wanted to not be embarrassed at my yearly checkup at the doctor's office. Because I wanted to look good in my swimsuit during gym class (sidebar: whoever thought a swim unit was a good idea for 5th and 6th graders is seriously disturbed). Because I wanted some guy to like me. Because my friends were skinner than me. Because I wanted to wear a certain size.

Now, I'm doing it for me. Because I want to my outside to match my inside. Because I want to be comfortable. Because I want to be healthy. Because I want to feel confident about my appearance. Because I don't want to look back on my 20's with regret about what I did or didn't do. Because I don't want my size to hold me back from anything.

That's what inspires me to stay on the bandwagon (99.9% of the time). And, at least thus far, it's worked.

And while I've received some great compliments from family and friends since beginning this journey, one stands out. The other day, a coworker told me that seeing my Map My Runs on Facebook in the morning is inspirational to her. 

Me? Moi?

Does she know that I usually spend the first half of my runs wondering how much longer until I get to turn around? That I have to talk myself out of stopping to walk at least a few times on every single run? That sometimes I do stop to walk, and then beat myself up about it? That I get frustrated and mad and sometimes just want to quit and go home and lay on the couch and eat Fritos?

Nope. Because she sees what I sometimes have a hard time seeing: that I did it. Period. 

I'd be lying if I said I didn't enjoy the compliments I've gotten about my weight loss, but this one is definitely a non-scale victory, and one I plan to hold on to. I've never been called inspirational before, but to be called inspirational for my new running habit is crazy to me. And it's gonna keep me going.

I've come pretty far, but I've still got a long ways to go. 

What were your NSVs this week?

4 comments:

  1. So true! Really you need to do this for you. You have to want it and need it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is soo amazing, I would totally hang on to that compliment as well!! I totally get being like I did what?! It's hard to get used to seeing yourself as the person of inspiration when you've been getting your inspiration from everyone else!! Keep up your awesome work and thanks for linking up with us!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that - simply put, you are doing it. Yeah it's hard, yeah we don't always do as well as we hope, but you're doing it! Great NSV!

    Kristin
    www.likea2-year-old.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm right there with you! When I wrote my blog post about running my first half marathon, so many people said that it made the tear up and were inspired by me... That was not my intention but it only pushes me to keep going because it's pretty inspiring to BE inspiring. :)

    ReplyDelete