Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Just Imagine

After hearing about yesterday's tragic events at the Boston Marathon, I'm struck -- as usually happens when such awful events occur -- at how truly fragile human life is. How even in the safest communities, even at the happiest events, even during such triumphant moments in a supportive community of friends, family, and simple sporting enthusiasts, everything can change. And in an instant, it's gone.

It shouldn't take such senseless acts for us to realize our appreciation for this life we live, and yet it does. It shouldn't take such devastating attacks for people to people to come together and support each other, and yet it did. Again. And someday when this tragedy is less fresh in our minds, it'll happen again. It always does.

This morning, when I woke up for my run, all I could think of was the people who trained for months, years, a lifetime to participate in what's supposed to be one of the greatest sporting events in the world, only to have yesterday's memory shattered by the cruel acts that someone (or a group of someones) chose to execute.

Photo courtesy of The Color Run

I can't do much but to check on those I care about in Boston, and make sure to tell my parents I love them before I hang up the phone. And I did. 

While I was running this morning, one of my favorite songs came on Pandora. Never have the lyrics rung truer than in the wake of yesterday's events. And even if John Lennon is more optimistic than most of us can be right now, for one moment, it was exactly what I needed to hear.



No comments:

Post a Comment