Monday, April 1, 2013

Friend Makin' Monday!

As a relative newcomer to owning my own blog, what better way to dive in than with Kenlie's Friend Makin' Monday?



Childhood Flashbacks
1. Did you have a set bedtime as a child?  If so, what was it? My parents [still] joke that despite their best attempts, I've never abided by a bedtime in my life. In fact, they used to find preschool Carolyn sound asleep around midnight surrounded by a sea of my favorite books strewn across my bed. 
2. Were you taught to be a member of the “Clean Plate Club?” Did it have affect your eating habits as an adult?  I was, yes. I'm not sure that it impacted my eating habits as an adult, though. If I choose to clean my plate it's because I consciously made the decision, not because I have some "need" to do so.
3. Share one thing that you were not allowed to do as a child. There was a good 2-3 year span where I was forbidden from watching Rugrats. Rugrats of all things!! My parents really didn't like me to use words like stupid, dumb, etc., and I think they worried that Angelica's meanness would rub off on me, because I was the oldest girl with two younger brothers.
4. What is the cheapest gas price you can remember?  My earliest memory of gas prices was when it was just over $1. So crazy to think about now!
5. What was your favorite thing on the playground?  When I was in kindergarten we used to have this [completely unsafe] playground feature that was like a rubber mat bridge. If a smaller kid stood in just the right spot on one side while a bigger kid jumped on the opposite side of the bridge, the smaller kid would go FLYING! I was pretty small for my age in early elementary school, and I made the bigger kids launch me all the time.
6. Share one thing that your parents always made you do that you didn’t like doing.  I hated doing the dishes, but that was my designated chore. I remember reading a Shel Silverstein poem about a kid who didn't have to do the dishes anymore after breaking one of them. I asked my parents if they'd give me a different chore if I broke a dish. Surprisingly, they didn't like that offer.
7. Do you remember your first kiss?  If so, share the details!  When I was in middle school I kissed (a peck!) a boy named Ralph during a rousing game of Spin the Bottle. Scandalous!
8. Did you prefer to play inside or outside?  I really liked both! I lived in a really close-knit neighborhood where I could basically roam wherever I wanted with my friends, as long as I was home for dinner. But I was also a HUGE bookworm, and I loved nothing more than hanging out at home and burying my nose in a good book (I often read 3+ at a time).
9. What was your favorite TV show growing up?  I love TV. Always have. Honestly, I could probably give a different favorite TV show for every few years of childhood. The standouts: Clarissa Explains It All, Wishbone, Trauma: Life in the ER (seriously 4th grade Carolyn LIVED for this show), Trading Spaces (oh yeah), Sabrina the Teenage Witch, and Boy Meets World. 
10. Share one awesome childhood memory.  One of my favorite memories ever was when we were on vacation in the Outer Banks and I was probably around 8-9. It was Father's Day and my dad took me boogie boarding at the beach for HOURS. Because I had two brothers, I didn't get a ton of 1-on-1 time with my dad, so I loved that.
Bonus: Share a picture of yourself as a child.  Are you ready for this? I was probably 4-5 years old here:

If you're interested in answering the questions yourself, link up in the comments section here!

3 comments:

  1. Checking out your fmm post and I read your bio and have to say - I can't get Journey out of my head now! As always with that song, it will probably last about a week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If listening to Journey on repeat is wrong, I don't wanna be right. :)

      Delete