Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Cooking Time!

In my excitement about my newfound running regime, I'm completely neglected talking about one of my favorite things in the world: cooking!

So, I thought today I'd pop in and share one of my favorite easy (and low PP) recipes that I make on a pretty frequent basis. Recipe inspiration is largely thanks to Ariana, who first introduced me to shirataki noodles. If you're unfamiliar, shirataki noodles are zero carbs AND gluten free. I buy this brand, and they're usually about $2.49 at my (overpriced) grocery store.

Just to avoid disappointment, no, they don't taste like normal noodles. I'm not sure they'd be good in an italian-style dish. I would compare them to a less starchy ramen noodle, meaning they're perfect for asian-inspired dishes.

Basically, this recipe is pretty impossible to mess up. You'll need:

  • 1 package shirataki noodles (found in the refrigerated section near wonton wrappers)
  • Fresh mushrooms
  • Green beans
  • Soy Sauce (I prefer low sodium)
  • Hoisin Sauce
  • Sesame oil
  • Powdered ginger
  • Flour


Here's how I make it:
  1. Sautee your mushrooms and green beans until they reach desired tenderness (usually 5 minutes or so). I sautee them with a few sprays of "I Can't Believe It's Not Butter" spray, along with some pepper. You can salt too, if you like, but the soy sauce has plenty of salt for me, so I skip it.
  2. While your veggies are sauteeing, prep your noodles. FAIR WARNING: These noodles will smell like dead fish when you first let 'em free from their bag. Rinse them in HOT water for a few minutes, and then nuke them in the micro for 2-3 minutes to cook them.
  3. Make your sauce: In a bowl, mix a teaspoon of sesame oil (a little goes a long way), a few splashes of soy sauce, 1/4 cup of water, teaspoon of hoisin sauce, and a little sprinkle of flour to thicken 'er up.
  4. Add your sauce to your veggies and dump your noodles in the sautee pan too.
  5. Let it all simmer for 2-3 minutes.
  6. Serve and eat! 

If you're as classy as me, you can eat it out of a plastic baseball hat bowl you got at an Indians game in elementary school. If you're not that classy, a regular bowl probably works too.

The best part? THIS ENTIRE MEAL IS ONLY 4PP! (sesame oil is the largest caloric contributor to this number, so use sparingly!)

You really can't mess it up. Don't like 'shrooms? Use sauteed peppers and onions. Don't like ginger? Add some garlic (fresh or powdered). You want some steak on it? Go for it. It takes all of 10 minutes to make, and you get an entire bowl of noodles!

Have you ever made a recipe with shirataki noodles? Please share!


1 comment:

  1. I love everything noodle. But I never tried shirataki noodles. Glad you shared.

    -Honeybee
    http://herweightlossdiary.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete